While each day there are hundreds of women facing an unexpected pregnancy and the choice about what they will do: abortion, adoption or parenting, there are just as many men facing that reality as well. And though men may not be able to legally make the choice, they can definitely play a part in the decision she makes.
If you think your partner is pregnant, the first thing we want you to know is you are not alone. Sure, the situation is difficult, but the two of you can get through this. And though you are probably experiencing fear and frustration, she needs you now more than ever. You don’t have to have all the answers, but you being there for her is something she needs now more than ever. Here are a few ways you can provide the support she needs to let her know you’re in this together as you work out your plan.
A few things you probably should do:
- Talk with her and listen to her. Keep the lines of communication open between the two of you at all times. Do not close yourself off emotionally because this situation involves more than just you!
- Be there for her. She needs you now more than ever before.
- Talk with the people who care. In addition to keeping the lines of communication open between the two of you, it’s important to discuss the situation with parents and others who will be directly affected. Keeping this a secret will only add to the stress – yours and hers.
- Educate yourself. Collect information and seek advice from people you trust.
- Be honest with her and yourself. Own and share at all times how you feel. You’ll be surprised at how much it will help her to know that you share the same concerns. You’ll be surprised at what you learn about yourself. And you’ll be proud that you’re standing tall together!
A few things you probably shouldn’t do:
- Don’t run from your responsibilities. The more you try to avoid this situation, the harder things will get for the three of you. Now. And forever.
- Don’t pressure her to do what you want. You both need to work together at all times. You’re a team now!
- Don’t stop communicating with her. Express your feelings and add your input whenever it’s needed.
Most of all we want you to know that we’re here for you. We want to help you understand all the options available and to make the best choice for you. If you want to talk to someone, please call us at 352.377.4947 or you can use out contact form and we will get back in touch with you soon.